Sunday, July 20, 2008

Horton Hears a ...

The family I live with got home later than usual from a long day out and about. It was past the boys' bedtime, and everyone looked like they'd had a thoroughly good time in the sun (and dirt). (Read as: they were exhausted and looked like they needed to head straight to bed.)

David got the boys bathed and into pajamas while Lisa and I closed windows and tidied up downstairs. As I walked up the stairs, I could hear all sorts of energetic squealing and noises you'd expect from wound-up 5-year-olds in the Jungle of Nool, not from boys who are about to drift lazily off to sleep.

Minding my own business as usual, I thought: Hmm, that does not sound like prescribed before bed activities. Just as I dismissed the thought, over the intercom comes the voice of reason: It's time for quiet, calm activities. I chuckled as I walked past the boys bedroom and heard David trying to come up with something quiet to do with the boys. All three seemed at a loss for a task that would be appropriately calm. They wanted to comply, but didn't know where to start.

Breaking protocol, I stopped minding my own business and offered to read a bed time story to the boys. Of course we found one of the longest books on the shelf: Horton Hears a Who, so part two is scheduled for tomorrow.

5 comments:

Tamara Robertson said...

Sounds so nice. My kitties are friendly, but they just don't seem to appreciate a good bedtime story.

Jocelyn said...

Have you tried reading Sammy and Sasha: Bad Kitty by Nick Bruel? It has a high approval rating here with my bedtime story audience.

Your kitties might enjoy it, but be careful you may end up with cats who "[eat] your homework, [claw] your curtains, [endanger] the goldfish, [grapple] with guests, and [hurl] hair balls at our heads."

Jocelyn said...

On second thought, you might just stick with petting your kitties.

Tamara Robertson said...

I don't that book sounds like it might be a good read. : )

Jack Turner said...

When you said you were minding your own business this time, I thought you were going to break character even sooner and do something to help the boys quiet down. I was all ready to be surprised.

I've heard it's a good movie. I'll be interested in your adult opinion of it.