Monday, July 14, 2008

The Case of the Red Face

So there I was last Sunday minding my own business as I was leaving church, when a friend stopped me so she could introduce me to a gentleman from another ward (who was very handsome, I might add). She provided all the prompts such as, “Oh, tell her about the next YSA* fireside,” “Oh, she doesn’t know where that is, you should pick her up,” “Now is when you ask for her telephone number,” etc. She had the best of intentions and was quite cute about the whole thing.

I’m not sure my face has been a brighter shade of red since who knows when (well, CrossFit work-outs excluded). Fortunately, since I am the ripe old age of 27, I was able to handle the situation with grace and charm (yeah, right!). The poor guy looked just as flustered and uncomfortable as I did. With all the thoughts going through my head, I wasn’t able to remember his name (I’m horrible with names!!!).

Later I caught her in the hall and explained my reticence: primarily not exactly being single and not exactly on the young side (as far as LDS YSA activities go). She apologized and said she would talk to the young man, so no one would feel uncomfortable (especially me!).

So when the unnamed fellow didn’t call, I was quite relieved; however, I decided that I would check out the YSA Volleyball activity on Thursday evening anyway. While I’m not really ready to dive into the dating scene, I told myself it would be a good way to meet some girls my own age who aren’t married. I just wouldn't bother talking with any of the guys.

So with an optimistic attitude I headed over to the volleyball game. I was a bit nervous about running into the young man I had met on Sunday. In the parking lot I met two enthusiastic girls who were my age and quite a bit of fun to talk to.

While playing volleyball, I started chatting with a young man. We introduced ourselves to each other. I can’t remember how it came up, but he made a comment that he felt very young. Apparently he had graduated from high school the year after I had graduated from Redlands. This time, I remembered the fellow’s name (which was easy as he, my dad, and the last guy I dated all share the same name). Besides, with him being 6 years younger than me, I wasn’t nervous. It was like talking to someone my brothers age.

I left feeling like I had a successful evening: met some girls to hang out with, actually hit the volleyball over the net a few times, and evaded the guy I had met on Sunday.

So yesterday, when I sat down next to my friend at church she told me how sorry she was and how she had made cinnamon rolls for me last week to apologize for creating an awkward situation. However, she didn’t have my house number so she drove down my street looking for my car (although, she didn’t know what kind of car I drove, so she wasn’t successful). I laughed and told her it wasn’t a big deal at all, but the effort was appreciated!

However, in the telling of the story, she provided the name for the unnamed gentleman. And guess who he was, the same (and only guy) that I talked with at volleyball. How embarrassing that I didn’t even recognize him! He didn’t mention that we had met on Sunday or anything, so maybe he didn’t recognize me either, or he’s just incredibly polite.

Follow up (7-22-08 @ 8:46 pm)

So I just got home from dinner at my friend's home. Apparently there are two Mikes from the same ward. One is 21 and fresh off his mission and the other is 25ish. So, I know it's a bit anticlimactic and doesn't make as good of a story, but the boy from volleyball was not the same gentleman I met that Sunday. Phewsh!


3 comments:

Andrea said...

That's really funny. Thanks for the suggestions; that's what I expect from older sisters :) Jack made the blog for me and I couldn't think of anything off the top of my head, so that's what ended up being my title.

Stefani M. said...

I know it's already the 15th, but I did think about you on the 9th... Here's to dancing elephants in your backyard! and Happy Belated Birthday!

Andrea said...

I did a sigh of relief for you :)