Monday, August 11, 2008

It's Official: I'm a Triathlete


My first race went well. My goal was to finish under 2 hours, and my final time was 1:59:40. I made it by the skin of my teeth. If you don't believe me you can check out the official results: Camp Pendleton Sprint Results Racing is quite an experience.

I panicked a bit in the water as the waves were bigger than I was used to and the current was stronger than when I had practiced. Once I got past the breakers and realized I was off course (thanks to the current), I was able to calm myself down and get back on the correct side of the buoys. It was such a relief when I was going the right direction (with the current).

Since I had taken about twice as long to do the swim than I had planned, I really pushed on the bike. My bike computer went out so I wasn't able to tell how fast I was going. So, I decided I wouldn't let anyone pass me and that I would catch anyone I could see on the ride. And I did it.

Along the ride, my foot came out of my pedal and I noticed I couldn't really feel my feet. I told myself Oh, well. I obviously don't need to feel them to ride since I'm doing fine and we'll just see what happens when I get off the bike. Somehow I managed to dismount without falling over and just kept running. I guess I don't need to feel my feet to run either. So I just kept going and focused on my form: pumping my arms and keeping me knees high.

Somehow I forgot to put my number on in transition for the run. Halfway up the hill I realized that everyone else was wearing their number, but I wasn't. I started to go back to get it because I didn't want to get dq'd for not having my number, but someone (thankfully) told me not to worry about it as the number is mostly for the pictures. I knew my mom was taking pictures, so I didn't need my number.

I was surprised how quickly the race went by. When I crossed the finish line, it felt like I had just started. In fact, after I turned in my chip I asked the volunteer: "Is that it? Am I done, now." For some reason, it didn't quite feel finished to me. Once I saw my fam and got a big hug from my dad it felt more final. My family and friends were great. I had quite the cheering section.

I can't wait till my next one. It's going to be hard to take a "rest/recoup" week, but I'll be busy with work and getting ready for my sisters wedding..

Here are some pre-race pics. I'll add some more once I get pictures from my mom, Dustin, and Taylor.

Departure time: 4:45
Taylor and my bike are loaded and ready to go! I was so giddy.


Transition opens in 5 minutes: we were trying to hurry so we could get a "good spot"

4 comments:

Stefani M. said...

Yeah for meeting goals and having a good time while doing it! Congratulations!

Sarah said...

You are amazing! I don't want to compete against you in anything any time soon!

Christine said...

i am so proud of you! you're hardcore :)

Tamara Robertson said...

You're so amazing!!! You make me want to train for something. : ) It was fun to see you yesterday.