Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Time to stop and clean up

Here's a social story that I wrote today for a student. As I was reading it with him, I realized that I could very easily rewrite it for myself with before bed projects.

My name is Jaime.

I am in Ms. Johnson's first grade class.

In class we do a lot of work.

Sometimes we cut.

Sometimes we write.

Sometimes we glue.

Sometimes we read.

Sometimes we have to stop before we are finished

with our work. It’s okay.

When it is time to stop, Ms. Johnson will say “It’s time to stop.”

She might give me a “Time to Stop” card.

I will try to listen to Ms. Johnson. When it is time to stop, I will try to put my scissors, pencils and glue away.


Ms. Johnson is happy when I listen and clean up when it’s time to stop.



*Please note that all names have been changed for confidentiality. Good ol' confidentiality. :)

4 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I wish I knew how to do better formatting with blogger. Not sure how to get rid of the lines or center my table. Rest assured that the final copy I sent home was beautifully created as a book with Microsoft Publisher.

grammyzanne said...

LOVED your story! I've had enough experience in schools to visualize your student.

Afraid i need a "Stop" card too. It is so easy to get so involved in a project, especially when working conditions are perfect - no interruptions. After all if you just do..... you can see the results of your efforts. Maybe I should print out your story and post it by my computer.

Joanne said...

Jocelyn, what a terrific story and specific for this little boy! Did he just love it? I bet he took it back to class and showed his teacher! And, I bet he will tell you all about it next time he comes to see you! Great job! It reminds me of the books we used to order for you kids that had your name as one of the main characters. Do you remember that?

Jocelyn said...

I do remember those books. Mine was about a Christmas adventure and mentioned Masako and Marshmallow

This little boy has significant language delays that make it very difficult for him to interact socially. I would love to think that inside he was pleased with the book, but he doesn't have the language skills or social skills yet to show his enthusiasm as a typical first grade student would. So, I took it to his teacher and sent it to his mom. Hopefully someone will read it to him daily. We'll continue to write social stories together to help him learn how to interact with others.