Monday, December 1, 2008

Raindrops keep falling on my head (or why I should stick to minding my own business)

Usually, I’m quite successful at minding my own business. I go to the gym. I work out. I shower and go about my day. Spending the week of Thanksgiving with my family tempted me to mind other people’s business. As you can imagine, it didn’t turn out as expected.

There Tamara was minding her own business, working hard at the gym, when along comes her younger sister (yep, that’s me). Seeing that Tamara was working hard on a weight machine all by herself and knowing that free weights are far superior, I generously offered to spot as she bench pressed. Why use a machine when you have a willing spotter? You must keep in mind that I had already finished my workout and was a bit sweaty. So as I stood over her and the bar, what do you think happens? A large drop of sweat rolls off my face, right into her mouth. After a look of dread and astonishment, we giggle, wipe my face, and start the next set only to have this repeated again with the sweat dripping right into her eye. Having your own sweat sting your eyes is bad enough, but your younger sister’s sweat?!?!

Fortunately Tamara was a good sport, but that was the end of my spotting career. I ought to stick to minding my own business.

4 comments:

Tamara Robertson said...

You can mind my business anytime. I would prefer that it doesn't sting so.

Jocelyn said...

You see, that's the problem: I can't guarantee that it won't sting. Nine times out of ten, when I'm "helpful," it backfires.

Joanne said...

ooo, gross. glad you are sisters! Which is worse: onions up your nose or sweat in your mouth?

Jocelyn said...

I think sweat in your eyes takes the cake.