Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sounds in sentences

As part of the assessment battery for testing children with suspected articulation delays, I give the Sounds in Sentences subtest of the Goldman Fristoe Test of Articulation, Second Edition.* Basically, I tell a short story to the students and ask them to retell it, hoping that they use the targeted words.

Yesterday I was testing a first grader and I emphatically instructed him to listen VERY carefully because I wanted him to tell me the story when I'm done EXACTLY like I did. He looked at me and asked, "Do I have to use a girl voice, too?"

* The first edition had a picture of a rifle and told a story about two kids ditching school to go fishing. The second edition is much more P.C.

7 comments:

Taylor said...

Love it!

Michael said...

Did you make him use a girl voice?

Joanne said...

That is too funny!

Jocelyn said...

For a brief moment I considered telling him yes for entertainment's sake, but then I thought how much harder it would be to transcribe, so I let him off the hook and said he could use a boy voice.

Andrea said...

I LOVE first graders! Don't they just make you happy?

Grammyzanne said...

That is too precious!

Tamara Robertson said...

What fun adventures! lol. I haven't done much therapy with kids and really had a lot of fun with them in Guatemala. I can see why you enjoy it so much. : )