Saturday, April 18, 2009

Decisions have been made

Being a planner, my heart finds peace when plans are laid out and set in motion. I can still hear my mother If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

After over six hours of interviewing this week, I have accepted a position with a school district in Virginia. Coming from a small district with only 10 speech language pathologists, I'll be joining a team of 230+ SLPs. I was quite impressed with the SLP administrators and the supports they have in place for their clinicians. The school district is very forward thinking with their use of technology in the therapy setting, which causes my eyes to enlarge with enthusiasm!

So, I will be saying a tearful farewell to my Riverside abode on June 5th and spending a few months with my family in San Diego County. I'm looking forward to some bonding time with my youngest siblings, as they were 8 and 10 when I last lived near them. An added benefit is that after having me under her roof for about 2 months, my mom will be more willing to have me move across the country. ; )

I'd like to make a road trip to Provo/Salt Lake in late July to visit friends and family. Then stop in Colorado to visit a college roommate. Let me know if you have any recommendations for a cross country drive. I thought I would allocate 2 weeks for traveling/visiting.

My goal is to arrive in the DC area by August 1st and use the next 24 days to get settled in and thoroughly explore the city. My mom has a list of must sees. Can't wait! Well, as Dad would say, I bet I can. Let's watch.

9 comments:

Stefani M. said...

What, Dallas isn't on your list for your cross-country vacation?!? Just kidding. That would be just a TAD out of the way. Glad when YOU make plans, they actually work out (that's not usually the case for me).

Tamara Robertson said...

There must be a syntax error. How will you leave riverside in july, spend 2 months in SD, and then get to DC (after a two-week travel trip) by the beginning of August?

Jocelyn said...

Syntax error fixed. Should have been June 5th rather than July 5th. I'm still waking up on Eastern time and going to bed on Hawaii time. Not enough sleep.

Dallas is a bit out of the way, but it would be fun to see you. We should figure out something...Hmm. Maybe when I have more sleep I'll be able to think more clearly.

Joanne said...

I am excited for your new adventure. So much to do and see just in and around Washington DC let alone all the extended day trips! But, you WILL be terribly missed by all of us out west (even after staying at home this summer!)

Michael said...

I will miss you deeply, but I will be comforted knowing that you are doing what is right for you at this time. You have brought such joy to me over this last year,

Grammyzanne said...

I'm SOOO happy you have found a job and things are in place for you. It sounds like a wonderful district to work in and they are very lucky to have you.

Maybe we can connect in Utah - Janet, Richard and I plan to be out there the last week of July (and the first week of August.)

Jocelyn said...

My parents <3 me, syntax errors and all! That's good because I love them, too.

That should be perfect timing! My friend is due the end of July and I want to meet her little one before I head out. So, I'll probably be in the UT region the last week of July. WONDERFUL!

The Ontko Family said...

I'm so excited for you and your fun adventure ahead. That's great about your new job. Man, June is coming too fast. We sure will miss you!

Chelsea said...

I doubt that Mom will be ready for you to move accross the country after living at home for two months, she will miss your cooking dinners (and you yourself)