Sunday, April 5, 2009

Mad Gab in real life














Adrianna invited me as a guest to her friends' wedding. It was absolutely beautiful. After the touching ceremony, we gathered for refreshments while we waited for the reception. The waiter came round with beverages for us. Here's the conversation that followed. (Italics=internal dialogue)

Jocelyn: Hmm, I'm thirsty. I wonder what kind of drink is in that glass. It looks like some sort of cola. Excuse me. What kind of drink is that?

Waiter: *unintelligble*

Jocelyn: Sorry, say it again?

Waiter: Hi-C

Jocelyn: Hmm? I don't think I've ever seen Hi-C Fruit Punch at a wedding. I wonder if it's a cocktail. I've seen Hi-C mixed with vodka before. Hmm. Is it alcoholic?

Waiter:(with confused look) Oh, no. No alcohol.

Jocelyn: Oh, I'll have it. Thank you I've never seen brown Hi-C before. How odd?

Waiter: It's unsweetened. Would you like some syrup?

Jocelyn: Unsweetened Hi-C???? I've never heard of Hi-C being unsweetened. Aha, that must be why it's brown, of course. Sure, I'll try some syrup. How much syrup do you add to Hi-C. It's usually pretty sweet. That seems like enough. Hmm. New experience. Thank you.

As I took a sip, I realized that the waiter had not said "Hi-C," but "Iced Tea." They sound remarkably similar. Perhaps this would be a good card for the board game: Mad Gab.









3 comments:

Stefani M. said...

I hate trying to understand people (like waiters) in loud occasions, such as a wedding reception. It's so annoying! I just nod my head and try to figure it out on my own like you did.

Adri said...

That had to be my second favorite moment of that weekend.... the first being our walk down State Street :)

Kate said...

Too funny. That sounds like something that would happen to me. I was so glad you were able to join the celebration