Thursday, May 28, 2009

I'm a crier, part II

I have a different relationship with grocery stores than most. Grocery shopping can cause anxiety (well, for me, at least); however, I know when I'm all done, I'll get to talk with one of my friendly clerks. That's my favorite part: the check out. It's the carrot at the end of the stick.

In preparation for my move, I've mentally primed myself to say goodbye to my bishop, to my visiting teachers, to my Primary, to the Cartys, to my coworkers, to my dear students; however, I didn't prep myself to see my friendly cashiers for the last time. So there I am, waiting in line on a Wednesday night to pay for my strawberries with tears flowing down my cheeks.

Oh, how I'll miss my clerks! Do you think they'll miss me? Do you think they'll even notice that I don't frequent their Ralphs anymore? Do they know how their smiles have helped me so? Probably not, but they have a special place in my heart: my Canyon Crest Ralph's employees.

(Please note that this post is supposed to make you laugh. Please laugh. That is my goal. If you don't laugh, I might cry. lol)

7 comments:

J'lene Fernandez Merrill said...

Don't worry Joce it made me chuckle out loud.

I'm sorry you are going through these growing pains. Just think for every person you say goodbye too here you will meet a new person in Virgina. It will be great!

No matter where you go there will always be checkers at the grocery stores.

Stefani M. said...

Ooooh, and I HATE the checkout... with two kids who are usually 10 seconds away from meltdown, and me meticulously tracking the prices as they ring up (don't want to get overcharged), which inevitably leads to needing a price fixed, then the coupons of course... making sure those all get scanned... like two days ago when the lady tried to skip $4 worth (4 $1 coupons). It's a hassle. Blech. Glad you enjoy it! You'll meet some new cashiers, of course. It's hard during an emotional time.

Joanne said...

Now you won't laugh at me any longer when I start crying because someone one a new car on the Price is Right!

Jenny R said...

Hey - DC is not that far from me you know!!! It is only 6 hours and I have a friend near there who will be coming home to visit his family some weekends in case you want a ride buddy. Also, I LOVE DC and Nina has been dying to talk to "Barackobama". Let's visit each other!!! :)

Jocelyn said...

Jenny, that sounds like an excellent plan! I definitely need more Nina comic relief. :D

Tamara Robertson Turner said...

I'm anxious to hear if you have any fun stories from the cruise. Sounds like it must have been fun and then straight from one trip to the other... hope you have a successful and fun weekend in D.C.

Sarah said...

They'll notice & miss you b/c if they are good enough people to lift you're spirits, they care.