Thursday, May 28, 2009

I'm a crier

Somehow I had convinced myself that I don't cry like I used to. I was sure that my sisters all cry more than I do now. However, moving has put this to the test.

There I was minding my own business...meeting my dear friend Stephanie for our weekly chat at our quiet Coffee Roasters in the Canyon Crest Center. We've been meeting for about two years now, usually Wednesday nights at 6:15. We sit at a small table outside along the bubbling water falls. After we drink our beverages, we walk over to Ralph's for some grocery shopping.

So we go up to order, and I explain to the familiar barrister how tonight is the end of a tradition. I pay for my raspberry iced tea and begin to feel the tears well up in my eyes. Stephanie has meant so much to me through these somewhat tumultuous years. She has been the calm constant who has emotionally supported me through so much. While we've talked about so much, I've never let her see me cry.

So, I did what any self-respecting person would do and made an escape for the bathroom where I could have a big sob, wash my hands and face, and then emerge with slightly red eyes. With her background as a teacher in a classroom for children who are emotionally disturbed, she knew just how to handle my melt down. She told me to calm down and that I'm all right.

She's right. I'm calm. I'm all right. But I will miss my dear friend Stephanie who I've known since 3rd grade in Mrs. Keating's class at W.D. Hall Elementary School.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

A meltdown was deserving at this time of change and a sense of gratitude for such a great friend. Memories of your weekly get-to-gethers will always be a favorite memory. Thank you Stephanie for being Jocelyn's friend!

Melanie said...

I never used to cry much, but now just about any little thing will set me off. I've gotten so that I mist up at the end of just about any episode of What Not to Wear.

Can't wait until you're out here!