Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I'm a duathlete now

I'm having a hard time fitting this event into my typical archetype. Hmm. I've thought about using Brent's method and just let others tell my story seeing as I brought such great reporters with me. Dad experimented with real time blogging via texting: No Swim Today and Race Over. Andrea ended her 3 month blogging hiatus by cheering me on Go Jocelyn!. I couldn't have asked for a better support crew!

I'm pleased to announce that my family did not sleep through my event and that I had all my gear including my bicycle. I even remembered to wear my numbers and when I put my helmet on backwards, I immediately realized the problem and switched it around before getting on my bicycle.

Due to high winds that affected the kayaking crew, the swim portion was canceled for safety. After spending so much time training with J'lene in the pool, I was disapointed. However, I think my mom was more upset than I was. It just means that I definitely want to do another race this summer so I can say that I've actually completed an Olympic length triathlon.

Canceling the swim, disturbed the race vibe. The run was very quiet as we tried to keep our footing through the hilly red silt. As I got on the bike, I was still surprised to see that there just wasn't much talk between athletes and the spectators seemed to only be cheering for their own triathletes. Triathlons are supposed to be energetic and supportive, so I started cheering people on as we climbed The HILL (6% grade). It sure made the rest of the race a lot more fun. I even got the spectators to cheer for me as I came through the final leg of the run.

Come on, we all know I do triathlons so I can have strangers yell Woohoo, finish strong #775! You're awesome!!! Perhaps if I had more cheering in my life, I wouldn't feel the need to race. Maybe I should have my IEP team members cheer for each other at our meetings. Way to write that summary!!! Your goals are TOTALLY measurable and right on target! Finish strong! You're AWESOME!!! Woohoo! Next time my principal starts to fall asleep, we'll see what happens.

I finished the race well under my target time (target for bike and run 3:00, actual 2:52); however, I think my target time was a bit too achievable. I'll have to set a higher goal next time.

8 comments:

Grammyzanne said...

Jocelyn you are totally AWESOME!!! Woohoo! Way to go! You may not have included pictures but the story was worth the read! I really would like to be a little bird at the window the next time your principal falls asleep at an IEP meeting.

Stefani M. said...

That wasn't too wordy! And good job on finishing within your goal! And maybe the 3:00 goal wasn't too much... this time you weren't tired from the swim when you ran and biked! That's gotta' slow you down some.

Haha (sorry, I had to chuckle...) about those "measurable goals." I always wish for more measurable goals, but such is motherhood. It's just not as gratifying to say "I did two loads of laundry today"... because I either should have done MORE, or I only folded and put away ONE of those, or at the very least, there will be more loads to do in a day or two. And how to measure what I do the most, i.e. care for children? I nursed Julian 6 times today, hurray!?! 8 dirty diapers?!? I played Candyland with Haley twice? It would be nice if I could ever have a goal, meet it... and then the task is done, but in motherhood, the tasks just repeat themselves over and over.

Michael said...

One story that Jocelyn left out...near the end of the race she was pacing herself using a runner just ahead of her. I want to quit right here, but if I can just stay with that guy just ahead, then I can make it! So what does the guy just ahead do? He breaks stride and starts walking! Jocelyn told me that she had to follow suit...but she soon started running again and passed him up. She must have gotten her strength back, because she had a strong finish. What an accomplishment! Whoohoo!

Joanne said...

The story left out that I liked was that Jocelyn, waiting for cheering decided to let the crowd know they should be doing their job. As she ran by she hollered out, "I can't hear you! Great job, You can do it! Keep going! You're almost there!" And so then the crowd started to cheer her and others on! Can't you see Jocelyn doing this (after all she is a speech therapist)

Grammyzanne said...

Yes I can see Jocelyn teaching the crowd how to be supportive. I love it.

Austin's Mommy said...

Stefani's comment on motherhood goals is funny. I actually do report my accomplishments on my days at home with Austin just the way she describes. And I feel good about it. I'm actually proud of myself when I do so many loads of laundry AND I actually put them all away - or most of them. :) Maybe she should set some non motherhood related goals. Like how many sit ups did you do today? Or how many toe nails did you get painted?...

Anyway. What a long comment. Good job, Jocelyn.

Jocelyn said...

There was a fly on the wall during my meeting yesterday. Was that you Aunt Suzanne? I think the buzzing kept everyone awake. I snuck in some covert cheering, but since my principal was very alert, I didn't have a chance for some energetic whoops!

Stefani, in speech therapy, 85% is considered mastery. So if you do 85% of the laundry or change 85% of the diapers, I think you can say you've mastered those areas. Maybe it doesn't work as well with mothering. I was patient 85% of the afternoon. (BTW-Stefani gets kudos for great comments!)

I want to make an addendum to Mom's story. I didn't tell the spectators "good job" or anything like that. They weren't doing their job well. I just said "I can't hear you" and said "woo hoo!" Then they started cheering, too.

Geevz said...

Can I just tell you how much I love you?! I think races are all about cheering for random people. And I'm with you on the need for random cheerleaders. One day in class a kid asked me why I was tired and I said it was because I ran four miles that morning. He announces my achievement to the whole class and they clapped for me a full 45 seconds. Made my day :)