Friday, May 8, 2009

Race day anticipation

It's race day morning. My parents came to support me, but for some reason they're still sleeping. "Just go get started," they say. Confused at their uncharacteristic apathy, I struggle to put my ever so tight wetsuit on.

They're still asleep, but it's time for the race to start. The blow horn signals the start of the race. I jump in the water and realize I have no clue where the transition is. How can that be? I dig deep into my memory banks as I thrash through the water with hundreds of triathletes. Then I realize the reason I don't know where the transition is located is because I forgot to set up my transition area in my rush.

To add insult to injury I discover I don't even have my bicycle. It's at home in Riverside. That's not like me. I'm usually so prepared for events like this. Suddenly I'm swimming back to the start to communicate this to my parents who are now awake.

In my confused astonishment I tell them we left my bike at home. They calmly respond that they know that and seem surprised that I didn't. I begin debating in my head about completing the swim or just quitting then. My parents indicate that it doesn't matter to them, they're going to be making breakfast.

I continue to spiral in a mist of confusion and astonishment that finally wakes me up moments before my alarm sounds. It took me several hours to calm myself down from the traumatic dream this morning.

I guess I'm a bit more anxious about the race than I had thought. I feel prepared and well trained for Saturday. Andrea and Dad will be there to support me and I'm certain they won't sleep through the big day. My bags are packed and I've reread all the pre-race packets from BBSC. I'm READY!

7 comments:

Adri said...

Yoshi, Zoe and I will be cheering from here in Riverside! We're so proud of your hard work and dedication and I TOTALLY KNOW you're going to rock it... because that's what Joce does :D

xo

Stefani M. said...

Good luck!

Andrea said...

I'm so excited to see your race. I promise I won't sleep through it either:)

Michael said...

What a dream! Looking forward to our road trip and seeing you race. You are great! See you soon.

Joanne said...

Have a good time swimming, cycling, and running your heart out! We'll be anxious to be kept posted by those in the know during the race. And that was a stupid dream! (And I know about stupid dreams!) Good luck!

Grammyzanne said...

You go Jocelyn. Have a great race.

Tamara Robertson said...

Sounds like it was a great race! Were your legs sore from the extra running?