Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Family Home Evening with my very own family!

What do road trips, campfires, and applesauce canning have in common? They're perfect opportunities to sing!

Last night while Dad, Mom, Chelsea, and I peeled apples we sang our family favorites. That's what I call a memorable FHE. It certainly brought back memories of being a kid in the backseat of the station wagon, with my legs sticking to the vinyl seats, headed out on a family vacation.

Here are the Robertson Family Classics (Performed best by the Robertson Family Head Singers):
Rose
Rose, Rose, Rose, Rose
Will I ever see thee wed?
I will marry at thy will, sire,
At thy will.

I Love the Mountains
I love the mountains, I love the rolling hills,
I love the flowers, I love the daffodils,
I love the campfire when all the lights are low...
Boom de ah da, boom dee ah da
Boom de ah da, boom dee ah da
Boom de ah da, boom dee ah da
Boom de ah da, boom dee ah da

White Coral Bells
White coral bells
Upon a slender stalk
Lilies of the valley
Deck my garden walk
Oh, don’t you wish
That you could
hear them ring.
That will happen only
when the fairies sing.

Suitors
There are suitors at my door, o uh lay o bak ee ah
Six or seven, eight or more, o uh lay o bak ee ah
And my father wants me wed, o uh lay o bak ee ah
Or at least that's what he said, o uh lay o bak ee ah

CHORUS: O lay o la- o uh lay o bak ee ah
O lay o la- o uh lay o bak ee ah
O lay o la- o uh lay o bak ee ah
O lay o la- o uh lay o bak ee ah

And I told him that I will, o uh lay o bak ee ah
When the rivers flow uphill, o uh lay o bak ee ah
Or the fish begin to fly, o uh lay o bak ee ah
Or the day before I die, o uh lay o bak ee ah

CHORUS

I was married just today, o uh lay o bak ee ah
Irrigation runs uphill, o uh lay o bak ee ah
Flying fish are flying high, o uh lay o bak ee ah
And tomorrow I shall die o uh lay o bak ee ah

All Things Shall Perish
All things will perish from under the sky.

Music alone shall live.

Music alone shall live.

Music alone shall live.

Never to die.


The Noble Duke of York
Oh, the noble Duke of York
He had ten thousand men
He marched them up to the top of the hill and
Marched them down again

And when you're up, you're up
And when you're down, you're down
And when you're only half way up
You're neither up nor down

And my favorite, the Spanish version:

Los Soldados Del Rey*
Los soldados del rey
Juegan ahedres

Suben bajan dejan de subir

Con su triki triki tran

Su triki triki tran
Triki triki triki triki tran
*This is a game that my dad learned in September of 1974 while on his mission in Oruro, Bolivia on his way from Llallagua to Santa Cruz. Everyone sits in a circle and has an object to pass. The players pass the objects during the verse and must stop and hold the object when they get to Con su triki triki tran. If they forget and inadevertantly try to pass the object, then they are out.

8 comments:

Andrea said...

These bring back fond memories of singing in the car facing backward in the station wagon or sitting around a campfire.

There are a few I don't recognize, though.

Joanne said...

Wow, I'm glad you looked up the words - I've been singing some of these wrong for years! It was fun.

Jocelyn said...

That's because you're sandwiched in the middle of Big Girls and Little Kids. Chelsea didn't know most of these. We'll be sure to sing them on the way to the Zoo on Friday or while we can apples together. Haha!

Jocelyn said...

What is right and what is wrong? Don't believe everything you read on the internet, Mom.

Chelsea said...

I look forward to learning these songs more this summer before I go off to college

Stefani M. said...

You must hurry and post the story to the top picture of the post where you just posted pics but no explanation. That face looks so familiar... who is that?!?

Jocelyn said...

Stefani, that is one of my dearest friends, J'lene. I was assigned to be her visiting teacher in Riverside and we became fast friends. We used to swim laps together. She's expecting her first baby later this month. The picture was taken at her baby shower last month.

Stefani M. said...

Well, then, I guess she just has a familiar face.

That happened when I was moving into my BYU apt freshman year... both me and my roommate Wendy couldn't stop staring and each other... we were both thinking "Where do I know you from?" and guess what? We didn't know each other from anywhere! Weird. And then we got married just a few months apart... and now we both have two kids almost exactly the same ages. Spooky.

Anyway, your comments on my blog made me almost cry and then laugh.