Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Beware of Pride or Silly things I say

Small talk 101: don’t point out issues of pride to people you don’t know.

So there I was, minding my own business, talking with a new friend at FHE when a young man comes up and starts chatting with us. Of course he asks the typical questions about how long we’ve been in the ward and where we moved from. Yada, yada, yada. The same conversation I’ve had a gazillion times.

Then, said young man, makes a disparaging comment about people in southern California. I’ve also heard this a gazillion times, too. He eludes to Californians’ tendency to be caught up in fashion and entertainment.

Instead of just rolling with the small talk, what do I do? (you ask in rabid anticipation.) I tactfully (insert rolled eyes here) explain, “Oh, well in DC people are self-satisfied with their intellectual thoughts and politics while in CA people focus on how they artfully present themselves and their taste in entertainment as a way of measuring their importance. It’s just a different kind of pride and haughtiness. I’m very good at identifying pride: it’s one of my skills.”

Who says that kind of thing? *shakes head as she identifies her own pride in her ability to spot pride*  Sheesh!

7 comments:

Stefani M. said...

That's hilarious! Yes, you are great at spotting pride... even your own. Heehee.

Sarah said...

Niiice. If I had been there I totally would have given you a snap or a high 5 or something.

Andrea said...

Smoooooth...That is too funny :)

Carrie said...

I love it! I bet it caught him off guard. Great response. You are so quick on your feet!

Joanne said...

You gave Dad and I a good laugh. Why would anyone say anything disparaging about So. Cal. when they are talking to a So. Californian??? Might have deserved it don't you think!

Grammyzanne said...

While you may have, in hindsight, been more comfortable omitting the last sentence, your response seems like a sound observation. If the Virginian was going to be that blunt with a Californian perhaps he required equal bluntness. I do admire your response and if I'd been there, I'd have been thinking, "Way to go!"

Tamara Robertson Turner said...

That was so great, Jocelyn.

Jack and I have a policy of not pointing out each other's pride unless we want to have a rough night. We do much better when we discuss the possible options of a prideful attitude in a decision or action that was taken (note the non-accusatory passive voice).

I'm curious about what his reaction was!