Friday, August 21, 2009

Someday I’ll figure out the metro or Take me out to the ball game

This afternoon I told my mom my Friday night plans of meeting up with some friends and heading to the Nationals game. She expressed some concerns about navigating and actually connecting with each other. I should have listened. (You’d think I’d learn to listen to my mom by now. She’s usually always right)

Arianne and I successfully met on the Braddock Metro platform, but our trip eventually turned into a comedy of errors as we got on one wrong train after another. 45 minutes after the game started, we successfully met up with the rest of our party. Rick was so surprised that a group of five girls would show up late. It really was out of character.

I think Rick and Steve were sad they invited us, as once we arrived, the Nationals didn’t perform as well (their 2-2 score diminished to a 3-7 loss by the end). Rick even blamed me for the weather.   ; )

Since no one expected a victory, all woes of tardiness and bad mojo were forgotten once the fireworks started. I’m always a succor for fireworks, especially when they’re augmented by lightning. Pretty spectacular, if you ask me.

After a cab ride to VA that involved an interesting $8 surcharge for the size of our group, the ladies stopped at 7/11 to finish the night with a classic Slurpee. Yum!

Pictured (left to right):

Rick, me, Arianne, Steve, Julie, Amy, & Jenny

 

Tweet, tweet:

Fullscreen capture 8222009 125858 AM.bmp

And since this is a Fieldtrip From Franconia post, here’s some historical information about the Nationals:

  • The Nationals play in the first major stadium to meet (and exceed) the requirements for an accredited Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Structure.
  • The architect for the stadium used the East Wing of the National Gallery of Art for inspiration in the look.
  • The field is 24 feet below street level and the main concourse is level with the sidewalk, which means you don’t have to climb a bunch of stairs to get to your seats.
  • The Nationals aren’t known for winning. They currently have 43 wins and 79 losses this season.

Fun facts brought to you by Nationals Park Facts

6 comments:

Stefani M. said...

You should just stay at home. Then you wouldn't get lost anymore.

Just kidding. :)

That's why I'm not a fan of public transportation, because I always worry I'll get on the wrong bus, or it will arrive earlier/later than I anticipate. It's too much of a headache for me. But I guess in a city like DC, you have to... unless you want to always pay enormous cab or parking fees.

Joanne said...

Alternate routes (alternate route means not the most direct or quickest route) are always a new experience. Did you see interesting sights along your alternate route? Lightening and fireworks -spectacular! Sounds like you're making new friends quickly.

Andrea said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun! How cool to have fireworks AND Lightning!

Adri said...

I would LOVE to be able to use public transportation. I <3 Subways & Buses, but only when they actually follow their published schedule! Kellie has many stories about Riverside buses being 40+min late. Yeesh. Looks like the night turned out great!

Grammyzanne said...

Sounds like a fun adventure.

Chelsea said...

It sounds like you had a great time eventhough you arrived late (or was it just fashionably late?)