Tuesday, August 11, 2009

This is the house that Spite built

 IMG_0367

523 Queen Street

While poking around Old Town Alexandria on Saturday, Christina, Lindsey and I stopped at the Spite House on Queen Street. It was built in 1830 by John Hollensbury to prevent horse-drawn wagons from speeding through the alley. In fact, the internal walls of the 325 square foot home include grooves from the wagon-wheel hubs of offending speedsters.

The New York Times did an article and slide show about this home that includes pictures of the inside. It’s quite impressive how well they used the space.

IMG_0370 Lindsey at the Spite House

Me

Lindsey

 

IMG_0369

Christina

9 comments:

Stefani M. said...

You must admit one thing: that house would be incredibly easy to clean since it's so small. (Can't imagine how people with more bedrooms, bathrooms and square footage manage to keep their house clean.)

Adri said...

Ooo I love it! I love homes that have fantastic history! Are those your roommates? They look just as cool & fashionable as you ;) No wonder you picked that house to live!

Jocelyn said...

Stefani, I think people with large homes are ALWAYS cleaning or they hire someone to do the dirty work. I plan to always live in a modest home because I HATE cleaning. I miss my house cleaner at my previous residence. *sniff sniff*

Adri, those are two of my roommates. Yes, snazzy, jazzy girls who are so much fun. You'll love them when you meet them.

Sarah said...

Have a problem? Solve it! ha ha ha

Kathy said...

I think that house would be great. It definately would make you think about what "things" are important in your life.

Grammyzanne said...

Really enjoyed the link. Fun pictures of the house. I'm thinking it is probably about as wide as a school hallway. Hard to imagine living is such a small space.

Marydalene said...

Thanks for sharing. What an interesting house and fun links to follow. Fascinating!

Jocelyn said...

Glad you enjoyed. I'm starting a new series "Fieldtrips From Franconia" which will highlight historic trips from my new home. Stay tuned for more...

Grammyzanne said...

I'm looking forward to you upcoming "Fieldtrips From Franconia" series.