Wednesday, September 9, 2009

People will forget…

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel.
-Maya Angelou

This evening I found myself completely enthralled while soaking in Ken Fandell’s explorations about the process of creating his art and defining significance. My brain was making a gazillion connections about my life and the processes that I’ve contemplated and studied.

The bag, calendar, and notepad that were sadly left at homeI went to grab my trusty notebook to jot down the thoughts that jumbled around in my mind, only to remember that I had decided to “pack light” and left the house with just my phone, wallet and keys. How could I go to an artists talk at a gallery without my trusty recorders: notepad, pen, and camera?

The concepts of his art touched my soul and invigorated my mind. He talked about ideas of communication and context. He spoke about finding significance in the mundane. I felt connected to humanity as he spoke and I left the lecture completely electrified.

Here is a piece entitled Evermore inspired by the photographs from the Hubble telescope.

evermore

This was one of my favorites that he showed during the lecture. It deals with the concept of narcissism and infinity. He compared his sending a picture of himself to a friend with what would happen if the Hubble telescope just took pictures of itself.  While there is a place for introspection, we need to step out of our personal criticism and self centered view in order to focus on the magnitude and beauty that can be found outside ourselves.

The next piece is the video he used to open the lecture. Originally he titled it It’s Hard, but after a friend pointed out that he should have been using a toothpick, it was renamed It’s Hard and I Could Use Some Help.

Its Hard and I Could Use Some Help 

I loved his description of the thoughts behind this piece and the transformation of meaning based on context. I wish that I could remember everything he said, but I’m just left with the emotions I felt while listening to him speak about the processes he’s exploring.

I love the idea of process. We are all going through our own processes to become who we are and who we will be.

Kudos to my friend Kaysha Gurell for her great post on DCist, to the Hamiltonian Gallery for hosting an enriching evening, and to Dantzel for humoring my need for art on a Wednesday night in DC.

4 comments:

Adri said...

Three things, one love the fresh look of your blog... two, I love that you were out at an art walk in the MIDDLE OF THE WEEK! and three, I'm jealous you have a friend who writes for DCist! You're hooked up & linked in!

Jocelyn said...

I'm telling you Adri, you NEED to move to DC. Every time I go to the city, I'm reminded of our trips to LA and how much you would love the culture and scene of the district.

Grammyzanne said...

Sounds like an invigorating and enjoyable evening. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The Maya Angelou quote is a good reminder for a new RS president with Martha tendencies.

Tamara Robertson Turner said...

You sound like you've moved to the right place! Always something to peak your interest.