Wednesday, October 21, 2009

What to wear?

As a kid my dad taught me about the weather. I’d ask what’s the weather going to be like today. He would respond, about like yesterday. He was usually right. That method worked beautifully in California.

So, now here I am in Virginia. I think to myself: What’s the weather going to be like today. Well, about like yesterday. So I put on my sketchers (sans socks), grab a sweater, and run out the door. No, it is not about like yesterday. It’s COLD. By the end of the day, I couldn’t feel my numb little toes. Suzanne, my office mate, recommended I wear socks the rest of the year. She even offered to provide dressing advice via text if I so desired. Suzanne will let me know when it’s no longer sock weather, she assured me.

So today, I think to myself: What’s the weather going to be like today. Well, about like yesterday. I was mighty cold yesterday. I better wear my scarf. Suzanne comes into work. Looks at my desk where I have my scarf neatly folded. Is that a scarf? It is NOT scarf weather  yet. Socks, yes. Scarf, no. She was right, the scarf was a bit too much.

Maybe I need to take up her offer and start texting her my wardrobe conundrums before I leave the house.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

lol. around here you need it by the time of day too! I have a widget that tells me current weather & if we're going out I look at the forecast by every 3 hours. CA sounds easier. (:

Joanne said...

Well, it's true today - the weather today is just like yesterday: mid 80's. Flip flops and capris are just right - just like yesterday! Sorry I didn't teach you to check the weather forecast on the internet each morning before you got dressed!

Jocelyn said...

When I was a kid, there wasn't the internet weather forecast to check! Just like you grew up without microwaves, Mom, I'm the tale end of the generation that grew up without the internet. Perhaps, I'll learn coping strategies.

Grammyzanne said...

I have every confidence you'll get the hang of it with or without texting, widgets etc.

Here in South Texas we can only say "About like yesteray" in the summer - when hot is all you need to know. Winter flucuates widely and wildly. Spring and fall - well don't blink.

Michael said...

It's not that the weather is always about like yesterday, it's just a very good predictor...better than most weather forecasts.

Tamara Robertson Turner said...

That's funny, Jocelyn. Don't you just love the feeling of that fresh cold Fall air in your lungs? ...one of the many things I love about Fall on the east coast.