Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The worth of soles – or why I’m not buying new shoes

I used to buy a lot of shoes. I’m not a shoe collector, like some girls. I just go through them quickly. I’ve been pondering my shoe situation lately, and I keep thinking, I’m going to go get some new shoes. But I haven’t bought a single pair since I’ve moved to VA. I’m reluctant to.

A Sunday evening conversation

J: I like your shoes.

me: Thanks, they could use a good shine.

J: Mine, too… If you look closely.

me: But yours are not nearly as scuffed as mine.

J nods in agreement

me: I’m really hard on my shoes. Not sure why. Hmm.

The theme of old shoes has surfaced quite a bit in my readings lately. First Elder Holland advised: “Smile at an old pair of shoes,” and then he proceeded to quote Henry David Thoreau:

Most of the luxuries, and many of the so-called comforts of life are not only dispensable, but positive hindrances to the elevation of mankind. [Walden (1854), 1, “Economy”]

A Monday night text conversation (paraphrased since my phone scolds me if I save too many messages)

me: …Hope you’re enjoying the rain.

J: I’m eating chocolates and working on a group project. It’s raining?!?

me: I’m leaping through the parking lot at Giant with Dantzel. You need to at least find a window if you can’t get outside to jump in a few puddles.

J: I just walked home from the metro.

me: Did you find any puddles to jump in?

J: not in my dress shoes! Otherwise I would have.

me: Ha! Now you know why my dress shoes are so scuffed.

President Monson shared a story about President Kimball and his shoes:

One day I was sitting in the temple near President Kimball. As I looked down, I noticed that he had a large hole in his shoe. And I mean large! His stocking showed through. After the meeting I said to Arthur Haycock, President Kimball’s secretary, “Arthur, you can’t let the President wear those shoes.”

Arthur responded, “Has he got that pair out again? He has many pairs of shoes, and I frequently hide that pair, but he searches and finds that particular pair most of the time.”

President Kimball was known for his statement showing his humility: “My life is like my shoes—to be worn out in service.”

If the prophet can wear shoes with holes, I can wear scuffed and worn shoes, too! I’d like to be like President Kimball and wear out my life and shoes in service, but I better start taking better care of my body and my shoes so they last long enough to be of worth! Perhaps I shouldn’t be jumping in puddles in my dress shoes anymore.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Love it! Thanks so much for posting this!

Joanne said...

It's nice to have you pay for your own shoes! I bet you'll be like Pres. Kimball and be in service throughout your entire life! Thanks for the stories.

Tamara Robertson Turner said...

That's great! I always have a hard time getting rid of a pair of shoes that I have just loved. I have a pair of black shoes that are pretty worn out. Jack thinks I need to get a new pair, but I just keep asking him to shine up the old pair for me.

Andrea said...

I have a hard time getting rid of shoes. I have a tendency to wear them until they should not be worn anymore and then some more-thinking I'll throw them out when I get a new pair to replace them. Unfortunately it usually takes me a long time to find anyhting worthy to replace them with.

Tamara Robertson Turner said...

Andrea, That is EXACTLY how I feel. Jack read your comment and thought that I was the one that had written it.. He couldn't figure out why it said Andrea. : )

Geevz said...

No, keep jumping in the puddles.