Thursday, January 21, 2010

Slightly recycled

I spoke in sacrament meeting on Sunday. I know you’re thinking, didn’t she just speak in sacrament meeting recently. Well, I was thinking that, too. However, that’s what I get for changing wards so frequently.

Because I know that you all would have come and heard me speak had you been within driving distance, I’ll share it here for your reading pleasure. It’s slightly recycled from my last talk. I was asked to speak on President Monson’s Talk: What Have I Done for Someone Today.

Do What You Fear Most

It took all my self restraint not to include references to Ken Fandell’s work. So I’ll include it now:

Mr. Fandell was having difficulty coming up with art. Instead of being productive, he got distracted by a picture from his marathon. He found himself in the picture, enlarged it, and sent it to his friend.

I Swear to God That's Me

Then he realized how silly this was. Here he is, supposed to be creating something meaningful with his time and energy, but instead he focuses on himself and gets this pixilated picture that doesn’t mean anything. He decided it must be the most insignificant picture.

Then he thought. Hmm, what’s the most significant picture? He did a Google search and came up with the pictures from the Hubble telescope. You’ve seen them before: those breathtaking images of space.

Spiral Galaxy

Then he said, what would have happened if the Hubble telescope had decided to just transmit pictures of itself instead of creating art?

Evermore

What would we have missed out on? So it is with our lives, if we spend our time focusing on ourselves and our inadequacies, we’ll miss out on becoming AMAZING.

7 comments:

Stefani M. said...

Sometimes I wish visual aids were appropriate during Sacrament Meeting. Might help keep the kiddos engaged more. :)

Geevz said...

Sounds like a great talk. Thanks for sharing!

p.s. I think visual aids can be appropriate. Conference has them. Heck the Book of Mormon has them now.

Grammyzanne said...

You are amazing. I AM sorry I'm not within driving distance.

Now I need to figure out how to include that thought and reference for the sisters in our ward.

Michael said...

Great talk, wish I could have been there. I love that hope and promise...that when he shall appear we shall be like him. Thanks for sharing.

Grammyzanne said...

Somehow I've missed the link to the text of your talk.

Jocelyn said...

link to my talk

My one complaint about my current blog setup is that my links aren't very obvious.

Joanne said...

Cool focus! Perspective means much in how we live our lives. Thanks for sharing.