Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The half marathon

This winter I decided to recruit some friends to join me in training for a half marathon. Some were reluctant. Some were exuberant. Some were determined.

We ran. We trained. We enjoyed each others company. When we felt discouraged, we buoyed each other up. It was great.

Then two weeks before the race, my knees reminded me that they don’t like running. They’ll tolerate 3-6 miles, but once they’re expected to do more than that, they protest.

I didn’t feel like arguing with them. So, I didn’t do the race. It did seem pretty comical that the ringleader of the group, sat on the sidelines.

My girls did amazing. None of them had run a long distant event before and they enjoyed the learning process.

Dantzel runs with style and smiles at mile 7

Dantzel runs with style and smiles at mile 7

The half marathoners: Brandie, Whitney, Emily, & Dantzel

The half marathoners: Brandie, Whitney, Emily, & Dantzel

The proud dad, mentor, coach

The proud dad, mentor, coach

A huge thank you shout out to Clint for his support and encouragement throughout our training.

3 comments:

Adri said...

Of course even with our biggest desires and best intentions our bodies win out... boo on them!

Congrats to your team and give yourself a huge pat on the back Joce for encouraging them to run!

Joanne said...

Well at least your knees could enjoy the beautiful spring day while cheering on the team. Loved seeing the pictures of your wonderful friends.

Sarah said...

Sorry to hear about your knees! Wish I had someone like you to get me doing things like that, though. Of course, I'm still not allowed to do anything but walk for the next 2-4 weeks....