Friday, April 23, 2010

If I were a bit more adventurous, this would be a better story…

Andrea: What I like about going on vacations with you is that we get to eat meals at regular times. I won’t be hungry when I’m visiting you.

Come visit me. We’ll eat tasty food. Oh, and we’ll see some fun things in DC, too. Just enough to fill the time between the meals, right?

The Scrapple Menu

After perusing The Washington Post’s going out guide, Andrea and I decided to experience The Waffle Shop in Penn Quarter. We sat at the counter and were entertained by the staff’s laughter as we looked over the menu. I didn’t expect to find anything unfamiliar on a waffle shop menu, but sure enough: scrapple. The staff was kind enough to let us know that it was liver and there were some very strong opinions about whether it should be eaten or not. For a minute I couldn’t tell who was serious and who was joking. I waffled for another few minutes about whether I wanted a good story or a good breakfast. I went with a good breakfast. The salmon cake was delicious.

Tastiness on a plate

FYI: Scrapple is a traditional Pennsylvania Dutch dish made from the scraps of hogs including the head, heart, liver, and other scraps. (According to Wikipedia)

5 comments:

Joanne said...

I think I'd take salmon cake. I've heard clients tell about scrapple. I hope you've kept an eating out log and rated your favorites! Andrea knows some good places to eat in LV as well!

Melanie said...

Unless you're a fan of high fat and low flavor, avoid Pennsylvania "cuisine." (Coming from someone who lived in PA for 2 years).

Adri said...

I had to laugh when I read the word scrapple... I'm glad you decided to skip it. Every culture has their 'leftover' dish, some call it menudo, others haggis... it's all the same to me... GROSS.

When I lived in PA you could also get squirrel stew at remote hole-in-the-wall diners. Double gross.

Andrea said...

I had a bite of her salmon cake-yum! Scappple probably would not get the same reaction. It was entertaining to hear the staff try to convince us to eat it though!

Grammyzanne said...

I've eaten a bite or two of haggis - once was enough. I've avoided menudo for the 26 years we've been in San Antonio. Not likely to seek out scrapple. Of course, truth be known, I'd avoid the Salmon Cake also.