Sunday, May 2, 2010

How will they know?

This semester I joined the NoVA Institute choir at the encouragement of Okapi Whitney, who has an angelic voice (I’m not so sure about Okapi’s singing voice). There was one song that always brought tears to my eyes (even during rehearsal): How Will They Know?  by Natalie Sleeth. I was delighted when Brother Toma selected Whitney to sing the duet (although, I think Okapi may have been a bit jealous).

Here’s the link to our recording (the song starts at 1:25 after a narration):

How Will They Know

The words made me think of my mother’s desire to teach her children to love the gospel. The words brought me comfort during a spiritually difficult time.

How will they know the ones for whom we care

that God is love and with us everywhere,

That life is good, with blessings all can share?

How will they know unless we teach them so?

 

How will they learn that though they go astray,

God will forgive and help them find the way?

How will they feel the Spirit day by day?

How will they know unless we teach them so.

 

How will they grow in wisdom and delight?

How will they choose to follow what is right?

How can they trust the future will be   

How will they know unless we show them?    bright?

 

How will they live when they at last are grown?

What will they give to children of their own?

Will they reflect the values we have shown?

How will they know, as on through life they go.

How will they know unless we strive to teach them so?

 

In my time of cloudy incertitude, I was able to bravely “[rehearse]…the words of [my mother], saying [I] do not doubt [my mother knows] it” (Alma 56:48). Just knowing her strength helped me to push through and cling to my covenants. Even though she is a continent away, I can feel her love and faith.

 

When I think of my journey, I am impressed with how indebted I am to my mother for teaching and loving me even when I went astray. She has been there to scaffold my learning and to show me that love is unconditional and powerful. She has taught me through her gestures of love that God is love and that

life is good. This is a lesson I want to instill in my children and those around me. I want my life to seep this message of hope, just as my mother’s life does.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

That is a great one!

Joanne said...

I enjoyed listening to your choir's rendition of one of my favorite Primary songs (for leaders), and then was taken aback by your kind thoughts of your mother! Thank you and know that you are loved!

Jocelyn said...

Joe brought it to my attention that I used a bit of plagiarism in this post. Apparently he has copyrighted his description of Whitney's voice as angelic. I would like to publicly apologize for my lack of citation. I stand corrected.

Joseph H said...

LOL...

Thanks Joce but just FTR (for the record)... although, yes, it was I that you got that from :) ... I did not say anything of copyright... nor did I copyright that (nor can you as far as I know?)... I just thought you should put something along the lines of:

"... at the encouragement of Whitney, (whose "voice is angelic" -The Musician Times) ... "