Thursday, May 27, 2010

I used to be an introvert

I don’t know when the transformation occurred. I’m guessing sometime in 2008, or perhaps 2007. I used to be content spending hours on end by myself. I remember being so torn when my older sister threatened to run away if I didn’t play with her. I loved her and didn’t want her to leave forever, but I just wanted to do my own thing quietly in my room. I had enough stories in my head to keep me entertained for hours, days, years on end. I remember feeling so alive and free when I’d come home and have the place all to myself. I loved running for miles on end in solitude.

Now, when no one is home to greet me, I’m disappointed and wonder where everyone is. If I’m free, I want to fill the space with friendship. I would much prefer to have a companion join me for a workout. I do my best cleaning when my friends keep my company. My friend Stephanie worded it so well, “Life is just better shared with someone you're comfortable with.”

My officemate is out of town for the week. My office is quiet and lonely without her here. (And I was so worried in August when I heard that I would be sharing an office!)

No comments: