Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Good friends ruin all your fun

I love words. I love dictionaries. I love understanding the nuances of language; nevertheless, sometimes I have incorrect definitions in my head.

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Jocelyn wrote:

Whitney,

This comic made me think of you. I'm glad to have you as a friend...you make the scary things more palpable.
Joce

Calvin and Hobbes 6-6-10

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Whitney wrote:

more palpable? is that like friends who ruin all your fun?

palpable
1
: capable of being touched or felt : tangible
2 : easily perceptible : noticeable <a palpable difference>
3 : easily perceptible by the mind : manifest

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Jocelyn wrote:

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Haha, that's a different definition than what I have in my head. Hmm. Maybe I'm thinking palatable? Ugh. I hate using words incorrectly!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

ha ha -- when I read what you first wrote I thought you typed palatable & didn't notice until the very end of your entry. I knew what you meant regardless. (:

Michael said...

I thought that palpable was used meaning that because you could touch or perceive your fears, that you understood them better and found that there was really nothing to fear.

Joanne said...

And then there was the time a speaker in church was speaking on the topic of immortality however used the word, "immorality" throughout the entire talk. I could hardly keep from laughing out loud.