Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sweets and Tweets

sweets and tweets logo

Last night I found myself sitting at a discussion panel focused on the influence of women in the world of tech. Of course I was minding my own business when I pulled out my phone, so excited to be part of the backchannel conversation, and realized that my battery was on the last dregs of energy.

If you remember the last time I was at the Hamiltonian, I had managed to leave my notebook at home. This felt like a sad repeat of unfortunate events. Fortunately, this time I at least had a receipt, library book, and pen. While I couldn’t join in the live conversation (#sweetevent), I was at least able to record my thoughts, feelings, questions, and impressions on the back of my receipt for lunch. I felt so tech backwards.

During the conversation, it was stated that technology gives women in other cultures a voice. That resonated with me since as a speech language pathologist, I give students who struggle with communication a voice (well, I facilitate students as they develop their own voice).

This year, as I’ve worked with high school students, I learned that if I wanted students to engage in my lessons, I needed to incorporate technology. I’m in the perfect position to use technology to facilitate language development and communication. There is so much technology to access and learn and embrace. It’s there, knocking at my window through blogs that I read.

Technology is ripe for speech language pathologists; however, we have the age old conundrum: men tend to be more adept and comfortable with technology and speech language pathologists tend to be women. How do we get women to join the technology conversation and community?

 

I could write a blog on each note, but I will spare you, dear readers.

 

 

6 comments:

Adri said...

Fantastic blog post! I'm so glad the event went well... I was totally there with you in spirit. I love that you posted your notes! I just remarked to a friend Lucas that I appreciate the written word in a world of font and spell check (http://lokified.blogspot.com/2010/06/writing-my-blog.html) I think it helps the reader experience your post in a very different way!

Jack Turner said...

8% of tech leaders are women...

I immediately thought of Gina Trapani who founded one of my favorite blogs, lifehacker.

I think that tech may be more interesting to boys than it is to girls, but that might be in part because the girls don't see very many women modeling enthusiasm for tech.

Joanne said...

Glad you can incorporate this important aspect of "modern" life into your therapy. Maybe I need speech therapy!

Jocelyn said...

Adri - thanks for your kind words. I loved Lucas' post and am thinking about including more scans of handwritten notes in my blog posts.

dhavamani shiva said...


Hi, probably our entry may be off topic but anyways, I have been surfing around your blog and it looks very professional. It’s obvious you know your topic

and you appear fervent about it. I’m developing a fresh blog plus I’m struggling to make it look good, as well as offer the best quality content. I have

learned much at your web site and also I anticipate alot more articles and will be coming back soon. Thanks you.








Send Diwali Sweets to Chennai

dhavamani shiva said...


Hi, probably our entry may be off topic but anyways, I have been surfing around your blog and it looks very professional. It’s obvious you know your topic

and you appear fervent about it. I’m developing a fresh blog plus I’m struggling to make it look good, as well as offer the best quality content. I have

learned much at your web site and also I anticipate alot more articles and will be coming back soon. Thanks you.








Send Diwali Sweets to Chennai