Thursday, August 19, 2010

How to be alone

Why is it that when you learn a new vocabulary word (a word you swear you’ve never heard before) that you discover it around every corner: in books you read, in articles you digest, in your friends’ descriptions of life?

So there I was minding my own business, trying to catch up on the abundant reading material that has collected in my Google Reader while I’ve been away on vacation, when I stumbled across this gem: Dancing…Alone.

While I’ve been meditating on the concept of being alone, I run into affirmations of the beauty and tranquility that comes from being comfortable with solitude. Enjoy this video: How to Be Alone

I don’t think I’m quite ready to go dancing by myself. Maybe…someday.



Post Script: I was going to wait until next week to post this blog; however, this morning two of my favorite bloggers have touched on this same topic…so you’ll just have to deal with 2 posts from me in one day because I want to join the throng. Enjoy!

Adri wrote about this same video: –If you are at first lonely

Joshua Becker wrote a great post on becoming minimalist: Solitude:Where Your Life is Waiting

2 comments:

Adri said...

How absolutely lovely is this video... makes me smile, I can see us both in it, but we have some more work to do! I haven't mastered the dancing alone thing yet either!

Jinxie said...

Hi! I hope you don't mind a random lurker posting a comment, but I just posted this on my own blog too. It really is a great poem and video! I don't know that I'm ready to go dancing alone either, but I definitely have some hobbies that I should stop neglecting. Being alone does have its perks.