Thursday, March 3, 2011

Definition: hyperbole

hy·per·bo·le /haɪˈpɜrli/

noun Rhetoric .

1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.

2. an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”

3. Jocelyn’s go to coping mechanism for talking about her fears and frustrations in a way that engenders humor and honest dialogue.

Last week, while I was minding my own business, I received this text from my dear visiting teacher who had been visiting me without a companion:

Hi Jocelyn :) I’ve got a new companion! Does this Sunday work for you for a visit?

Most people would be pleased to have another visiting teacher. Most people would view this as another avenue for a great friendship. Seeing as I have always been blessed with delightful visiting teachers, most people would extrapolate that my new visiting teacher would be delightful, too.

I am not most people.

Saturday, as I was (of course) minding my own business, I brought up my concerns with Whitney. I explained to her how having a new visiting teacher was going to ruin EVERYTHING, that my new visiting teacher would spoil the dynamic that my amazing VT and I had developed, that I knew that my new VT and my old VT would just talk to each other and not to me. I ONLY WANT ONE VISITING TEACHER. Then we laughed. Whitney assured me that my new visiting teacher would be a blessing in my life.

She was right. My new visiting teacher is a delight. I’m really looking forward to getting to know her better. We’re already friends on facebook.

4 comments:

Geevz said...

I'm glad it all worked out well :)

Molly said...

And being facebook friends indicates she is a delightful person.:)

Molly said...

Molly =Eleesha

Paladin said...

Great definitions, I like 'em!