Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Definition: relief

re-lief /rɪˈlif/

–noun

1. alleviation, ease, or deliverance through the removal of pain, distress, oppression, etc.

2. a means or thing that relieves pain, distress, anxiety, etc.

3. money, food, or other help given to those in poverty or need.

4. something affording a pleasing change, as from monotony.

5. release from a post of duty, as by the arrival of a substitute or replacement.

6. the end of February and the beginning of March.

Origin:
1300–50; Middle English relef < Old French relief, derivative of relever to raise; see relieve

Can I just say that I feel like making it through another February is delightful? I’m pretty sure that the only way I made it through this year was because of my mother’s February care package. My favorite part was the heart, rose-colored sun glasses that became a permanent fixture on my desk at work for use whenever I needed a new perspective.

Koko
Originally uploaded by Lá caitlin







(h/t to Geevz @ hazardous undertakings for the dictionary format inspiration)

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Februarys are tough. Congratulations on making it through!

Geevz said...

Oh man, februarys are almost as bad as novembers. Way to make it!

And I love the heart colored glasses.

And how you gave me a shout out. Made my day that my format is cool enough for other people to use. I wasn't sure if it was lame. :)