Saturday, February 25, 2012

Relief Society Muscles

Triceps Brachii

Image Credit: Original by sv:Användare:Chrizz, 28 maj 2005

When I was a teenager I would snicker about “Relief Society Muscles.” You’ve seen them. Maybe you don’t know that they’re called “Relief Society Muscles,” but I’m sure you’ve seen them on more mature women. It’s the loose skin that is sometimes heavy with fat that swings when mature members of my church’s women’s organization conduct music. (I tried to find a picture; however, no self-respecting person would post a decent image of their underarm flab for the world to see on the internet. Imagine that!)

(As an aside about music and arm fat, I learned that the reason the violin and flute were considered masculine instruments in colonial days is that gentlefolk of the era did not consider it proper for women to hold their arms up in such a manner as to reveal their Relief Society Muscles.)

After spending this winter hibernating, I realized that I have been developing a bit of a Relief Society Muscle. (Please rest assured that I will not be posting a picture of this development, as I am a self-respecting lady.) At first I thought I should accept this progression toward being a “mature woman” and a member of Relief Society.

However, in a moment of supreme motivation, I decided to take action. Instead of just pinning posts about great workouts, I would actually do one. (gasp!) I pulled out a great Tabata workout and cleared some space in my living room.

Somewhere between 2008 and 2012, pushups became exceedingly difficult. Perhaps gravity is on a different setting here in VA. I began my first 20 second interval and realized very quickly that I would need to use my knees. I began cranking out pushups, but quickly wore out.

By the time I got to my 5th interval my form had degraded to falling on the floor and barely forcing my body off the ground with weird convoluted twists. I don’t think they were classified as pushups at that point, but I kept going because “I don’t stop when I’m tired. I stop when I’m done!” I bet you wish you were a fly on the wall when I came to my 8th round. (In fact, at that point, I wished that I were a fly on my wall.) I should have listened to my body and stopped when I was tired.

I don't stop until I'm done!

Today I spent some time reading about relieving sore muscles after exercise. Basically I learned that the best thing to do is prevention (start exercise programs slowly and with moderation) and to wait out the pain. Most sore muscles are recuperated within 48 hours.

It’s been 56 hours, and I had to have Mr. Chappell help me take my shirt off because my triceps are still screaming at me.

image(should be amended to: Today I will love myself enough to exercise *at my level.*)

For reference, Arnold does not have any sign of the Relief Society Muscle:

The Governator will Pump You UP!

1 comment:

Geevz said...

It's the running! I ran a marathon and have watched my arms turn into globs. I'm thinking I need to get into weight lifting next...