Thursday, March 15, 2012

1940s – Looking all young and handsome

If I had been in my 20s in the ‘40s, I would be stunning, well, at least in photographs. Looking through my grandparents’ pictures, I’m impressed with how striking they look.

Here’s a great picture of my grandpa:

1942 dad in uniform

When describing this picture, he stated, “This is a professional photographer’s picture of me in my army uniform, looking all young and handsome in the army there.” It’s true: he really does look quite sharp. I can certainly see why my grandmother fell for him (and he’s not just a pretty face!).

Reading through excerpts from his auto-biography, I realize that the 1940s for my grandpa weren’t all that different from this decade for me. It was a journey of self-discovery, of love, of decisions about faith. While my story lacks the swing bands, riveting, and uniforms, I see the same themes woven through his stories that are emerging in mine.

In honor of the 1940s census being released next month (only 18 more days!), I’ll be sharing some of my grandparents’ stories from that decade through the next couple of weeks.

Here are some sneak peek pictures for you to gawk at my handsome grandpa. Sorry ladies, he’s taken.

 

the1940census.com

No comments: