Thursday, March 1, 2012

Self-Talk

So there I was minding my own business, sharing some concerns I was having about my life with Mr. Chappell, when he accused* me of using negative self talk. Gasp! I boldly and firmly explained, “I do not use negative self-talk. That was not negative self-talk, just an honest assessment.”

Honest assessment may = negative self talk

image source: www.thegirlandrhino.com

So, I did some homework. (If you’re going to make such bold and firm statements, it’s good to check your facts.) Come to find out, I apparently am prone to some negative self talk. *sigh*

All kidding aside, how do you deal with the negative influences in your life whether they be external or internal? After more research and some self reflection, I decided to write my own positive counterstatements to my alleged negative self-talk.

I enjoy taking care of my body, mind, and spirit.

I am strong and powerful.

I choose to feel joy as I fill my lungs with fresh air.

I accept and believe in myself.

I pray for help.

I recognize the Lord’s hand in my life.

I am a daughter of our Heavenly Father, who loves us, and we love him…wait a minute…this sounds familiar

This is not a new concept. Without even knowing, I was taught this powerful concept of countering negative self-talk with positive affirmations when I was a twelve year old girl at church.

Each Sunday, my friends and I would stand and repeat the Young Women Theme:

We are daughters of our Heavenly Father, who loves us, and we love Him.
We will "stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places" (Mosiah 18:9) as we strive to live the Young Women values, which are: Faith, Divine Nature, Individual Worth, Knowledge, Choice and Accountability, Good Works, Integrity and Virtue. We believe as we come to accept and act upon these values, we will be prepared to strengthen home and family, make and keep sacred covenants, receive the ordinances of the temple, and enjoy the blessings of exaltation.

Thanks Young Women leaders of years past. Now to just implement those skills they taught me as a teenager. *rubs hands together while plotting*

 

* Please note that this is an instance of sarcasm. Those who know Mr. Chappell understand that his definition of “accusation” is to lovingly suggest that he might be identifying an aspect of pride. (While identifying pride is one of my skills, lovingly identifying pride is one of his skills.) He’s such a blessing. (Is that too cheesy?)

No comments: