Saturday, December 8, 2012

Alphabet Advent – I is for...

I-8-cap

llumination





The birth of the Savior means to me is that the world has a chance to change. The world has a chance to become what He intended it to become from the beginning. The world has a chance to accept His love and follow Him.
I have felt this change from darkness to light. I lived a proud and rebellious life, but my soul ached. After experimenting with what the world had to offer, I began to make changes in attitudes and actions. As I did so, I grew closer to my family.

One summer evening my dad called to offer some counsel, and we discussed forgiveness and change. He asked me to do something that was very difficult: admit error and show compassion to someone who had hurt me. After explaining why this was almost impossible, I told my dad I would consider his invitation. He wished that he could alleviate my pain.

After hanging up the phone, I pondered his words. In a very clear moment, I knew that my earthly father couldn’t remove the weight, but that my Heavenly Father was ready, willing and able. In that moment I felt the weight of my rebelliousness. The dull ache of my soul was magnified to a darkness and despair that could destroy a person.

As I considered, I heard the words of a scripture learned in a previous era of my life: “We talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ,and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source the may look for a remission of their sins,” (2 Nephi 25: 26).

As I turned to Christ for that sweet balm of Gilead, I could feel the pain and ache dissipate and my countenance was no longer dark, but filled with light. This wasn’t a small moment of clarity, but direct revelation from my Heavenly Father. Small changes or returning to my previous lifestyle weren’t adequate. I knew that God knew that I knew and that meant I was going to make significant, permanent changes that would allow me to return to His presence.

The birth of Jesus Christ gave me an opportunity to repent and to turn away from the alluring world and have hope. The birth of Jesus Christ brought a light and joy into my heart.

I am thankful for parents who talked of Christ and rejoiced in Christ so that I could know to what source I could look for a remission of my sins. I am grateful for a Heavenly Father who sent his son so I can be cleansed.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Thank you for sharing this sacred experience--for having the courage to take action. I am so thankful for the gift and power of the atonement.